Young Carers Awareness Day is an annual event, led by Carers Trust, and is taking place today.
Everyday, thousands of young people in the UK help to look after someone in their family who is ill, disabled or in a situation where they need help.
Young Carers Awareness Day is an annual event, led by Carers Trust. It raises awareness of the challenges faced by young carers and campaigns for greater support for them.
Recent research has shown that as many as one in five secondary school children may be a young carer. A lot of these children may have became a carer at a much younger age too.
Caring for someone can be isolating and stressful and it can put a lot of pressure on young people. Having so much pressure on them can negatively impact their education, have an effect on their future chances.
This is why Carers Trust want to make sure that all young carers get the help and support that they need and deserve. That is why they have launched the Count Me In! campaign.
Politicians in all UK nations can help by:
- Monitoring the implementation of legislation relating to young carers, including how many young carers are identified and supported.
- Make young carers count by collecting and acting upon national attendance, attainment and wellbeing data on all young carers identified by compulsory education providers.
- Ensuring local authorities receive appropriate funding so they are able to fulfil their legal duties to provide young carers and help their families with the support that they need.
You can download these letters and use them as templates when writing to your MP, Member of the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly Member:
- Template letter for Network Partners to send to your Member of Parliament (MP) (Word document)
- Template letter for carer services to send to your Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) (Word document)
- Template letter for carer services to send to your Welsh Assembly Member (AM) (English language) (Word document)
- Template letter for carer services to send to your Welsh Asembly Member (AM) (Welsh language) (Word document)
Want to help? Here’s how you can:
Visit here for more information about the Count Me In! campaign and to download a resource pack.
Tweet your support using #YoungCarersAwarenessDay and #CountMeIn.
Don’t forget to tag @CarersTrust, @CarersTrustWal or @CarersTrustScot
depending on where you live.
Tweet a school, local authority or politician that you think should be getting involved with the campaign.
Write to your elected representatives to ask what they’re doing to
support the campaign.
Please get involved in the campaign and help a good cause. Young carers need and deserve support and we need to help them fight for it.